Wednesday 17 October 2012

STUDIO BRIEF 2 - ALPHABET SOUP - TYPEFACE - RESEARCH


RESEARCH ON: Roxxie Blackman

As apart of our new two-week period design brief we were asked to design a typeface for a full alphabet including six glyphs that represent the personality/character of our partners, which we were paired up with using the ‘randomizer’. This studio brief was a continuation of from the previous Alphabet Soup task given, thus looking further into type and typographic forms. From the randomizer the person that I was paired with was Roxie Blackman, in order to help us kick start this brief we were given a set of questions to ask each other in order to get to know each others personalities, below it the list of questions followed by the answers from my partner; Roxie.


1) What is your favorite colour?

Purple/lilac

2) What is your earliest memory?

Falling off a bunk bed and cutting my chin open

3) Which living designer do you most admire and why?

Jessica Hische – Love all of her typographic work, and love how she is an upcoming designer

4) What’s is your most treasured possession?

At the moment – my MacBook

5) What would your super power be?

To make food when whenever and whatever

6) Which piece of graphic design do you wish you had created?

Will have to think about that one

7) Who would you play in the film of your life?

Probably some really goofy teen idol like Miley Cyrus or Demi Channel

8)Who would you invite to your dream dinner party?
*
The whole cast of The Lord of the Rings

9) What makes you unhappy?

Spelling mistakes, sad love films and not being able to eat – I love food

10) What would be your fancy dress costume of choice?

I would love to dress up as Urukai, would probably need a pro make up artist though

11) Which words or phrases do you most overuse?

Pleb, twat, dickhead, fuck/fuckin, I have an extremely foul mouth & over swear ALL the time

12) Write a list of words/phrases that best describe your personality.

Rude, laddy, moaner, laid back

After finding out a little more about my partner I realized that this set of questions helped a small amount however didn’t really touch on what my partners personality was truly like. In order to gain a larger amount of knowledge of my partners personality/likes and dislikes I decided to ask another set of my OWN questions in order to become accustom to her personality further.

1)             What is your favorite season if the year?

Spring

2)             What is your star sign?

Aquarius

3)             What is your favorite food?

Crisps- Cheese & onion                                       

4)             What genre of music are you into?

A little bit of everything really

5)             Are you a clean, tidy or messy kind of person?

In-between

6)             Do you have any hobbies?

Playing the guitar

7)             What is your preferred time if the day?

Night

8)             Where are you originally from?

Oxford shire

From this Information Roxxie had given me about her personality I decided to create a spider diagram to help me outline the main characteristics and main parts of her personality that would help me progress and solve this studio brief. I initially created the first spider diagram from the questions above and then decided to write a list of the next steps I could take in order to progress with the studio brief in order to solve the problem and communicate my partners personality. 





After speaking to Roxxie after reflecting upon this spider diagram I gathered some more information on her likes and dislikes along with gathering a greater understanding of her design and creative interests.  Below is another spider diagram depicting other sectors thats I could research into. 



In order to help me structure and create a pathway to follow when tackling this project i decided to pick out the main pointers/areas that I felt were important to research into in order to gain a greater visual understanding of my partners interests. I then categorised the areas that i felt I could research into in order to collate a bank of creative influences in order to start designing and developing the typeface. The categorise/areas that I intended to investigate further into included:

  • FORMAL TYPEFACES (in specific): GILL SANS

  • DESIGNERS/ ARTISTS

  • RUSSIAN LINGUISTIC LETTERFORMS 

  • BODY ART: Tattoos & piercings
ALL RESEARCH ON THIS TASK IS AVAILABLE ON MY DESIGN CONTEXT BLOG VIA THE LINK BELOW: 

http://a-mistry1215-dc.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/studio-brief-3-alphabet-soup-typeface.html









No comments:

Post a Comment